LIFDI is one of the softest ionization techniques for Mass Spectrometry.
- performed within minutes
- sensitive and easy to use
- even for air/moisture sensitive samples
- meaningful spectra from difficult samples inaccessible to analysis by established techniques.
LIFDI forms intact molecular ions of e.g.
- organometallic complexes including
- highly reactive samples
- oily, not crystalizable compunds
- unpurified mixtures
- hydrocarbons, crude oils etc.
- sterically hindered samples
LIFDI has genuine relevance to organometallic chemistry
LIFDI-MS is the method of choice when all other methods fail, e.g. ESI-MS.
LIFDI is available for many new mass spectrometers as well as an aftermarket upgrade to existing instruments.